In summary, research shows that most diseasesimpacting the Alaska Native community can be controlled and/or prevented by:
- Maintaining a healthy lifestyle
- Exercising regularly
- Seeking regular medical exams and screenings
- Increasing early detection of illness
- Patient education
- Understanding your condition and how to manage it can increase your confidence in making changes to improve and maintain your health
- Familiarize yourself with your health insurance plan by getting a copy of the policy and reading it over so you know the coverage and benefits available to you
- If necessary, seek financial assistance or guidance through national or local organizations and assistance programs. For instance, the Patient Advocate Foundation, the American Heart Association, prescription assistance, Federal, State and local Human Services programs can offer help.
- The most important thing to remember is that you are not alone. These diseases are manageable and there are many people and organizations that care and are available to assist you.